Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Santa Rosa in the 60's

In just a little over two months I'll be back home for a couple of weeks. Although this is a "riding" vacation we'll use my old home town as our base station (so to speak). This is how the town looked about the time we moved there. On the left is an old hotel that we lived in for a while until my parents found a home for us. Just down from that was the cafe and bar my dad bought. I have some very faint memories of that place but then again I was only about three years old.

But this was Route 66 at its best. Back when tourist roamed up and down the road looking for a diner or a "motor court" complete with attached garage. How many of you know what I'm talking about?

4 comments:

sandy said...

oh yeah motor court..I remember those. Glad you get to go home for awhile.

Cara said...

Thanks Sandy - I can't wait to get there!!!

Anonymous said...

Funny how I must have crossed this highway thousands of times to and from school, but I have no memory of that hotel. I'll have to ask my brother Lou if he remembers. I'm sure he will--he's our keeper of the flame of remembrance. Thanks for the photo.
Arch's sister

Cara said...

Arch's sister - Glad you still pop by. I'm going home in AUgust for a visit - can't wait.

I started to write a response to your comment to tell you a story about that hotel but it got so long I decided to just write it for the blog instead. I'll post it either tonight or tomorrow.