Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ft. Union, New Mexico with a Missouri Connection

This is really cool - check out this website for the whole story about the connection between Ft. Union and Missouri. http://www.kansasheritage.org/research/sft/ft-union.htm
Made of adobe only the brick fireplaces remain for the most part.
STOCKADE...no adobe here - all stone!
This is what remains of the hospital.

One day we left Santa Rosa and headed up to Cimmaron, Angel Fire, Eagles Nest, Red River and called it quits in Questa before heading into Taos and Santa Fe. It was a fantastic trip. We had just past Las Vegas and somewhere between there and Cimmaron I saw a sign that said we were going to be passing Ft. Union. I instantly remembered my dad taking me there when I was seven years old. Back then it was abandoned and there was no visitors center...and no one to tell you to stay on the paths. We decided to stop and visit.

Its a really neat thing to see if your in the area.

4 comments:

naquaiya said...

Cara I love your stories and these photos are super. What a unique idea. I know you will get back there someday. Just think positive and it will happen.

Gerald Schwartz said...

Cara, You are one talented Lady.. Your gift of putting words and pictures together is wonderful...

The sky in this just knocked me out...

Cara said...

Thanks Michelle for all the encouragment.

Cara said...

Gerald - I'm a little slow in reading my comments but I wanted to thank you for visiting and for your kind words -